Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Divorce, American Style!

As I was taking the children to school and daycare today, I heard on the radio that today (the first business day after New Year's) is the busiest day of the year for divorce lawyers. I can't think of a worse time, myself, to select for a divorce. I understand that you're trying to make a better life for yourself and that you think you're liberating yourself, but I can't help but think that as divorce is one of the most emotionally painful endeavors anyone can go through, that it's not the best way to start a new year. Additionally, think of the effect it has on your spouse (though you might want to ruin his or her year), how much it's going to hurt him or her. And is it really the way you want to celebrate a new year with your children, if you have any? Perhaps it'd be better to wait until the newness has set in and thus they don't have to have such a painful reminder of the new year.

Then again, it is a symbolic resolution-type event. I can understand wanting to make a new start at the beginning of a new year, so perhaps there is good to it, after all.

3 comments:

English Professor said...

I don't think much of the timing, either, when kids are involved. Still, it's better than what a friend's jerk son did, which was tell his children on CHRISTMAS EVE that he was leaving their mother.

Good riddance.

JMJanssen said...

I'm not old enough to have friends getting divorces, but I have noticed most breakups happen around new years. I've always attributed it to the stress of the season.

red.hot.mamma! said...

I can see how this would be a good time to make a fresh start and get rid of old baggage, namely a bad relationship. Personally, filing for divorce was like the first step toward rebuilding myself and I timed it so I finalized the divorce on my birthday. Best present I ever gave myself!