Thursday, May 13, 2010

New target of rights erosions: U.S. citizens

I've complained in the past about how the US treated its detainees, the abuse of habeas corpus, the denial of legal counsel, indefinite detention, etc. Part of the reason is my concern for ceding too much power to the Government in the name of "security." I, of course was not alone in my complaints, and several others do a much better job at pointing out the dangers than I. One of those individuals is Glenn Greenwald.

He does such an outstanding job summarizing the steady erosion of rights taken from us in the name of Security. Of course, many people support these changes, because "it's not going to happen to me." The problem, of course, is that once everyone else is eliminated, you are what's left to go after. Do we really need legislation stripping citizenship of Americans ACCUSED of being terrorists? Of course, it's unconstitutional, but who cares about that? We have to worry about children seeing the Lion King in Times Square.

No comments: