Monday, March 19, 2012

Bragging on My Boy

So my oldest is 13. We refer to him as "the Boy." Good kid, sharp, mostly responsible, though can be a bit stubborn from time to time.

At any rate, we knew he was a sharp one from the beginning (all of my kids are pretty sharp; I think it comes from their mom's genes). We got some confirmation when he was added to the school's gifted and talented programs in elementary school (GT), and was placed in Pre-AP classes upon entering Jr. High.

This year, he was asked to take part in the Duke University Talent Identification Program (TIP). This meant that he got to take the ACT, and based on his scores, he qualified to take part in the summer program, which means The Boy is going to College for a month this summer.

We are quite excited for him. He'll be sending in his applications for classes this week, and when he's done, we'll get to figure out where we'll be sending our hard-earned money and our rather sharp young man for the summer.

I'm not sure how many kids get to take part in this every year, but I know I was never afforded the opportunity, so I'm very excited for him.

3 comments:

Bruce said...

Very cool! Let me know if he needs a place to stay - Duke is about 25 miles from my house.

Steve said...

Thanks Bruce, but the Duke campus programs are only available for 8th graders. The Boy will be attending class at one of three other colleges - Austin College in North Texas, Appalachian State or University of Kansas.

Anonymous said...

Steve, you were identified as "gifted" in kindergarten, based on the test CP used at the time: CogAT (Cognitive Abilities Test). Your kids inherited your genes, too. And I am quite proud of you and all of them.