Friday, October 04, 2019

Off the Facebooks

I'd been flirting with the idea for some time, but I do see the social connectivity benefit (it's a means by which I can talk with several friends at near real time), but I've been having troubles - I find myself getting upset at other people's posts, I find myself envious of other peoples' activities, successes, adventures, etc., and frankly I spend way too much time on it (which I no doubt will remedy by spending way too much time on here). 

But, the linchpin for me leaving was Mark Zuckerberg's udpating Facebook's official policy to not remove false or misleading political ads.

What this means is that Donald Trump (currently under an impeachment inquiry for those not paying attention) can spend (g)od knows how much money on false advertising on Facebook, spreading misinformation to all those who facebook reaches (hundreds of millions), and Facebook will do nothing about it. 

This isn't about truth.  It's not about access and connectivity.  It's not about anything other than crass profiteering and helps support Senator Warren's contention that the big companies need to be broken up. 

Fortunately, 1) few people paid attention to me on Facebook, so I won't be missed, and 2) nobody reads this blog, so I won't be noticed.  It'll be nice to be back in the land of the unseen and unheard.

No comments: