Sunday, July 20, 2008

Long Week

Last week was a long one.

One thing I'm not comfortable with is talking with people I don't know. I need to know you before I can be comfortable talking with you, particularly on the phone. Seriously. This is a true source of anxiety for me, and unfortunately, it's a big part of my job right now.

Last Monday, one of my friends from high school was in town, so we had lunch together. It was really a nice thing; I'd not seen this friend in about 14 years and it was really nice to catch up.

Then, to make the day even better, my best friend called me that evening to wish me a happy birthday (it wasn't my birthday, but why carp?). We chewed the fat a little, reminisced a bit, and just had a nice talk.

The rest of the week was very busy with phone calls from irate clients (see anxiety, above). My in-laws and father left last week, as well, so we had a little post-move separation anxiety mixed in with the work anxiety. Additionally, I think I'm starting to feel my version of buyer's remorse - which is anxiety that I won't be able to continue to afford my purchase.

Eventually, I'm going to try to find a 9-5er somewhere closer to the house. It's important to have a family member within 30 miles of the children for emergencies. That, and I don't know how much I really enjoy doing what I do. It's an important job, and being the low man on the totem pole, I get to do the less savory tasks, but I don't know how much longer I'll be able to take the alternating anxiety about the calls and the anxiety about near total lack of job security.

I cut the grass today. In the back yard. It took an hour, or so. Filled 3 1/2 trash bags with grass clippings. But the yard looks good, the lawn mower and edger work well.

The kids should be going to sleep right now. They're playing hide-and-seek upstairs. I'm letting them because to stop them would require my going upstairs, and I don't wanna.

Jamie - you're going to be fine on the bar. To this day Photog and I can both tell you that the breaking and entering into the dwelling house of another with the intent to commit a felony therein is Burglary. If you find yourself panicking, think about a rule of law that you know and start from there. You'll calm down and it will come to you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Once I stop sucking on the essays, I'll feel more confident about the bar.

photog said...

Jamie, no one wants to get the lowest score on the bar exam, but let's fact it - it's a pass/fail exam. And passing is a "D." I'm guessing you didn't earn too many "D"s in law school, so you're already ahead of the curve. And the pass rates for 1st time takers from Texas law schools are at about 90%, so you're statistically more likely to be struck by lightning than to fail the bar. Just ask red.hot.mamma! - she went grocrery shopping in the middle of the exam!

All the best!

Anonymous said...

Stress sucks, Steve - don't I know it! I'm also facing some interesting financial times right now, what with the new house and the new kid - not to mention the nice long new commute. Hopefully things will settle down for both of us soon. I definitely recommend finding a job you really enjoy - but when you have a family relying on you, you also have to manage the transitions carefully.