Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Republican Health Care

If they could have gotten it:

I recently had a daughter who had to stay home from school due to headlice. I tried to get some treatment for her at the doctor and contacted our insurance company to check up on availability. In response, I got:

Under the current law, children who are prone to contracting headlice (e.g. children who attend public school, children who attend daycare, or who attend non-protestant or Catholic houses of religious worship - Jewish children will be considered on a case-by-case basis) will be considered as patients with a pre-existing condition should headlice be... See More contracted. As such, it will not be covered by current policy.
While this may seem harsh, one must understand that it's the choice of the child or the parent to have place their children in harm's way. If parents were truly responsible, they would keep their children away from such potentially harmful environments. It does not make sense financially to infringe upon the freedoms of the insureds who take the care to see to it that their children are not placed in such an environment to share the burden of risks to which less responsible parents expose their children.

I also got a $20 "Consulting fee" charged to my account for the inquiry.

But, I understood that I accepted the risks by being a less responsible parent and I cheerily paid my insurance company for the time it took them to write and e-mail this letter.

4 comments:

Just Wondering said...

You're kidding, right? Please tell me this is a joke. Head lice is a pre-existing condition????

Steve said...

If you look at the label, you'll notice that this was labeled under "Satire."

Though the fact that someone could conceive that it might be real probably speaks more volumes for the current health care climate than anything else...

Bruce said...

You got me - I assumed it was true, and thought it was the most over-the-top thing I ever heard of!

Just Wondering said...

blush Good one.