Sunday, April 24, 2005

This is no fun

Well, I lost my hearing in my right ear. I know this isn't life or death, or anything, but it's annoying as all get out. At first I thought it was just a little thing, so I went to the doc to get it cleaned out. Unfortunately, I was wrong. The hearing loss isn't due to wax, it's a pretty nasty ear infection. The good news, I'm on antibiotics, and my hearing should be back sometime this week. The bad news? I can't hear much more than a whisper out of my right ear, and I can't miss any more school, which is going to be a ton of fun when it comes to taking notes. I suppose it's my fault somehow, though I'm not really sure what I did to cause it. It didn't hurt, so there was no way for me to really say "Hey, I think my ear has a problem."

At least it's not during finals, though I do wish it had happened during the reading time. ugh.

5 comments:

red.hot.mamma! said...

oh no! that's so weird that you got an ear infection & didn't have any pain or anything. i hope it gets better soon & you get your hearing back. let me know if you need any help with the notes.

Bookworm said...

It is a reminder, isn't it, that pain is a very useful mechanism in our body?

Hope your ear improves quickly, because it sounds very inconvenient. (Of course, sometimes, with my kids hollering at the top of their lungs for my attention, it occurs to me that a temporary hearing loss might have its advantages....)

Steve said...

The worst part, probably, was that something like this has happened to me before (hence the assumption about the blockage). Perhaps had I not had that experience, I'd have been able to assume there was something amiss. Thanks for the well wishes, you two. I do hope to recover quickly and fully.

I also have the chance to reflect on how fortunate I am that my hearing loss is only temporary, as opposed to so many others in the world. I must say, I live with 20% hearing loss on a daily basis, and losing an extra 50%+ is certainly not something I wish to revisit.

Michelle said...

Steve how bout one of those tiny tape recorder thingys to take in to lectures and tutes. I used one tons of times when i was studying on campus.

Steve said...

Well, it only took five days and two trips to the Doctor, but my hearing is back.
Strange part - I think my hearing is better in the ear that lost hearing than it was before I lost the hearing...

Anyway, thanks for all the well wishers, and for all those who don't wish in wells, thanks to you, too.