Monday, January 07, 2008

The Eve of New Hampshire

I like New Hampshire. I only spent a weekend there, but I could really find my way to loving it. It's quiet, woodsy, and the folks know their politics and American History.

I look forward to the primaries tomorrow; to see how comes out ahead - Obama strengthening his front-runner status over a potentially imploding Hillary, or McCain staging a stupendous comeback from the brink of irrelevance after his stroll through Baghdad with an armed guard of some 100 soldiers...

I don't like Hillary. I think she's more of the same; and I didn't like her much the first time around. I don't like that she moved to New York simply to run for Congress, and used that as a platform from which to launch into Presidential Candidacy after insisting she had no plans on running for President (which I'm aware she had to say in order to ensure she got re-elected and thus remained relevant). I find it interesting what a commenter on a recent post at Dick Polman's blog said. He noted that Hillary stated she's got a track record of 35 years of change; but what is one thing that she can point to and say "I did that. It was all on me?" She's been near change, and probably has been involved in helping make a lot of change happen (which seems to be a political buzzword again), but she's not been the catalyst for change. I think that's part of Obama's charm. He's not just well spoken, articulate, and seems to demonstrate some real class; but he says "we can do different and be better" and seems to believe it himself.

I've always thought of Hillary as a bit of a political opportunist - a woman who will support whatever cause will help her in the polls. And I think her pandering to the change bandwagon is, ironically, more of the same.

I think if Obama wins the Democratic nomination, he's got a very real shot at winning the election. I don't see any Republicans who can really get him. McCain might be the best bet. Romney is for everything, and against everything, and for everything he was against and against everything he was for. Huckabee is a little too theocracy-minded, though he's careful about the way he speaks to keep it from really getting out (this is my take on him; I could be completely wrong). Giuliani and Thompson both jumped the shark.

I think an Obama-Biden ticket could work well; though I would want a Republican-majority Congress to work with/against them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't like obama. He has too many great big teeth,and he looks like a wolf in sheep's clothing. And that is NOT because of the email I got pointing out that he was raised Muslim. I don't care. He seems slippery to me; too slick.