Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Spoiled Brats

I'm not much of a golfer. I've golfed once in my life, about 12 years ago, and I shot a 72.

However, I respect that it's a difficult game to play well, and that one needs to be able to concentrate. What I don't respect, though, is the behavior of "professional" golfers who throw tirades because someone makes the slightest hint of a noise.

For the love of Pete. You are a Professional Athlete. You are supposed to handle distractions. It's a damn camera. You are getting paid millions of dollars, and you want us to pander to you? Grow up. You don't see football being put on hold because the crowd is too loud to call the cadence. You don't see baseball players refusing to pitch or bat because someone's trying to buy cracker jacks. You want to show me you're the best? You want me to believe that you should be getting paid 7 figures to hit a ball at a hole with a stick? Do it in spite of the distractions. I think this would make the game much more interesting. Handle the pressure. You're an entertainer. You are there for us.

Don't believe me? Who's going to pay your check if fans don't show up, or don't buy your balls?

2 comments:

nuje said...

72? Was that for 18 holes? If so you should go out on tour. My friend plays a lot and has never broken 80.

Steve said...

I shot a 72 on a 9 hole course.

It's not quite as impressive if I say it like that though.