Sunday, August 31, 2008

My Very Brief Thoughts on Sarah Palin as VP Candidate

I'm concerned that she has limited executive experience, and appears to have run up a $20 million debt for a town of 9,000 as mayor. I'm concerned about the rumblings of cronyism, but I expect rumblings of that type from just about anyone in power. I'm concerned about the whispers of rumours suggesting that perhaps her youngest child is not hers. (From The Moderate Voice - note, this was not posted as fact on TMV, but rather suggesting that there may potentially be something to look into on this matter) I'm concerned that she was vetted in a week, and not by McCain staff members, but rather by lawyers, which immediately strikes me as a move of desperation. And I'm concerned about how many times I've heard people refer to her having been a beauty queen, or comment on how she's "hot" or a "MILF" in comments. I see absolutely no connection between physical attractiveness and ability to govern, and felt that way when one of my friends said she was voting for Bill Clinton in 1992 because he was "cute."

Much of my concern is from rumor and conjecture, as is the case for many who have concerns regarding Sarah Palin, but that is the price of making a surprise pick of someone who has not been on the national radar. Concerns are going to abound. Consider it like this - the person applying for the position of head coach on your football team must also provide his choice for starting quarterback. He can choose from any quarterback out there, Manning, Brady, Favre, McNabb, Palmer... and he chooses Kevin Kolb. It's a bit of a head scratcher.

And I don't buy into the "inspired choice" line of response. I don't see how any blogger pundit or most media talking heads can say that when she was underneath just about everyone's radar. The responses from the Limbaughs and the Red stater blogs applauding this choice immediately after the choice and repeating the "plus" talking points (vice my "minus" talking points indicating my concern above, because I also know very little about her), strikes me as a lockstep, pavlovian response - "she's the Republican choice, so it must be a good one, just like Alberto Gonzalez and Harriet Miers."

I'm concerned, but I will stop short of calling it a good or bad pick at this time - again, I just don't know enough about her to give an honest assessment.

2 comments:

Steve said...

The rumours appear to have been quelled regarding the child given the appearance of a photo showing Ms. Palin as apparently well with child.

nuje said...

I think very few on the right have been lockstep about McCain being the nominee. So I would find it strange for them to be in line with his VP just because it was his pick. I think Rush's (and mine) initial giddy response comes from him/us being so happy McCain chose a conservative.