Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Math

I got home from my last class at about 9:30 last night (Thomas, class was fine. The Prof seemed to want to be out of there as quickly as possible). Being that I'd been at school for about 13 hours by that time, I was a little hungry. So I sat down at the table and had a snack. As I munched on my corn chips and queso, I noticed a piece of scratch paper on the table next to me. On it were the following:

62397 61723 56823
+ 2963 + 7213 +31359
64121510 68936 88182

Now, I know that that first answer is way off, but those other two are completely right. As impressive as it is, what's more impressive to me is that these were calculated by my 6 year old first grader. The boy is smart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The child is wonderful. He is a happy, generous, loving little boy who happens to be very smart. My experience with highly intelligent children is that they sometimes get locked into depression. Because they have creative minds, they can think of all the "what ifs" and worry about them. Just keep an eye on him. Every one of those children of yours deserves their parents' best.

Kirsten said...

Poor Ben...this is what he does for fun. He wanted to know how to add big numbers, so I showed him. It took 2 problems for him to understand that he had to carry over to the next column (hence the odd calculation for the first problem--he wrote the entire number, ie. 10 or 12 in one column). After that I was able to write down a problem for him and he figured it out while I folded laundry.

Steve said...

Oh don't I wish. That would be a pleasant thing to find.