Monday, October 30, 2006

Pumpkins

We went out and bought our Halloween pumpkin yesterday, and carved it up last night. The kids were excited like they haven't been in quite a while. It kind of made me miss the holiday experiences of living farther north. The nip in the air; leaves turning all sorts of autumnal colors (Dang Pung = Korean for "tinted autumnal leaves"); frost on the ground, gloves and mittens, apple cider to warm you up; not just as a "holiday beverage..." I miss the magic that fall and winter had when I was my children's age; and I lament that they don't get to have the same autumn and winter experiences. This is the time of year that I most dislike living in Houston. It just doesn't feel right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bittersweet, isn't it? It's cold here, today, and the sun has been shining and the wind whipping dry leaves in any door that opens. Remember the broad-leaf Maples out here? The leaves are easily 7 inches across, and often larger, and turn bright, golden yellow this time of year. I want a large-leaf maple tree in my yard. A plum tree and the flowering cherries just don't say fall in quite the same way. The oak does a pretty good job, though. How I would have loved to watch the little guys do their pumpkin! I'll bet it was loud and exciting!