Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Let it Snow!

So I walk out of work this evening, after a relatively long day. I know the traffic is going to be lousy because it's dark out and it's been wet, windy and cold all day.

I walk out the door of the building and I get hit with precipitation, but it isn't rain. I pause (figuratively, it's pretty chilly out and I own no jacket), and recognize that I'm being hit with snowflakes. Now for much of America, this is to be expected in December. But we are in Houston. In Houston, it snows about once every five years or so (I've lived here for 5 years and this is the second time it's snowed). This is a bit phenomenal. It was almost exciting enough for me to forget how I had been left out in the cold waiting next to the chinese restaurant by a friend of mine who asked me to set aside my time, who completely blew me off with nary an explanation. Fortunately, I'm originally from Michigan, so I'm relatively thick-skinned (figuratively speaking), and this doesn't affect me too much.

The kids loved going outside in the snow. It's not cold enough to accumulate, but it's still falling, and they were having a ball (literally, as some of it had gathered on the bench in the backyard and they had a brief snowball fight). The fireplace was lit for the first time in the new house, and the children enjoyed warming up after their jaunt in the cold wintry air with some hot cocoa.

It felt like Winter.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I called you at around 10:00 a.m. yesterday morning and left a message about the cancellation. It's not my fault that your phone is broke and you didn't receive said message.

Besides, I gave a valid reason. In retrospect, however, I should have had lunch with you.