Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I don't know that I'm actually surprised

I am off this week, after having finished finals last Friday, and going to New Orleans to help Katrina victims with Hurricane Relief Network, I took this week to keep the kids home from daycare - I get the whole day with the Little Boy, and the Daughter and The Boy get the afternoon with me after being at school for the day. Today, after I got the daughter from her school, I had to go get The Boy. In doing so, I had to drive up Campbell street, which has a single-story, small apartment complex. In front of the building was a hooker. At least, I thought she was a hooker, and then when she beckoned me to pull over, I figured my instincts were pretty correct. I did not stop.

There are a few things about this encounter that are odd, besides the fact that I was propositioned by a hooker. First off, this took place at 2:15 - not a time I would equate to prime hooking hours (but then, I've never been a hooker, so I don't know when the best hours are). Second, I was not on a main street. Campbell is an arterial, and one that is less travelled on than others nearby. But perhaps the most interesting part of this anecdote is that she beckoned me over while I had the daughter and the little boy in the back seat. Either she's really desparate for money, or she thinks I'm more interested in a few minutes of anonymous noughty things than I am in being a responsible parent.

What's scary is that there is probably a reason that she thought a man with children in the car would be willing to stop for "a good time." And while I'm not the type to stop at a hooker, and especially not the type to do so while my kids sit in the car waiting, there are plenty of fathers and husbands out there who would. ugh.

2 comments:

Bellejar said...

Yuck! I hope your kids just thought she was weird.

Flea said...

eeeuw! I've never seen one in real life, suppose because I'm in bed by the time they work! I'll probably stare and get spit at for doing so.
Gosh, that's weird that she did that!