Saturday, July 07, 2007

Ratatouille

I took a break from studying today after doing 50 Torts questions (35/50, so I'm right on pace). We decided to take in a movie, so the wife and I took the kids to see Ratatouille. The Boy and the princess have both been to movies before, so I more or less knew what to expect from them - The Boy, being 8, knows how to sit through a movie, while the Princess does well for a while but gets a little antsy near the 2/3 mark (though not today, she was very good). But the Apple had never been before, so I was a little concerned about how well he'd do.

As luck would have it, the movie was nearly sold out, and the only place we could find four seats together were in the third row from the front (except for the front row, which is not happening). This did indeed turn out to be a good thing, because there, the screen is so big, especially to little kid eyes, that the Apple was completely mesmerized. Throw in a tub of popcorn the size of his torso and costing about a quarter of the Gross National Product of Belize, and you have a happy kid.

The movie was very good. I will stop short of calling it great, because while I was thoroughly entertained and the story progressed well (it's evidence that deliberate pacing is not completely dead in Hollywood), there were a couple things that seemed less... "likely." Still, it was the first movie I've seen this year that I thought was worth paying admission for, and the kids really liked it - the Princess's favorite part was the cartoon before the feature, which was quite funny as well. The Apple loved "the movie!" And The Boy liked when the people saw the rats.

Very Good, not Superb, but right up there with Pixar's other offerings. 8/10

2 comments:

nuje said...

We saw Transformers this weekend. If you see it, take ear plugs and make sure you give yourself time for a nap afterwards.

Cassie said...

We haven't taken Jack to the movies before. I'm sure he would love it but I'm not sure he would sit through it politely. I have no desire to see Ratatouille though. I don't think I could sit through that movie.