Sunday, September 21, 2008

Boiling Point

And not just because it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.

I've pretty much reached my saturation point with Ike. We've been without power for 9 days now. We were informed, via the power company's website, that we were scheduled to have power back by Monday (tomorrow). This was welcome news to us. Instead, we find out today via our neighbor, who has a generator and thus power and thus access to the internet for longer than 30 minutes via dialup that our projected power return date has been moved to Thursday.

What's the big deal, some might ask? Well, when you've been without power for over a week and then they inform you that you are going to have to wait up to another 1/3 of the time you've already been out, you get frustrated.

Photog and his wife were quite gracious in offering the use of their laundry facilities for us, and we took them up on it on Wednesday. I declined today, primarily because we were expecting the power back tomorrow and we didn't want to impose any more than necessary. However, since we're running short on clothes, I may be giving them a call after work tomorrow to run a couple loads.

I'm so upset right now that I can hardly see straight. Everything is setting me off. I can't even wash dishes (in the dark) without getting upset about something. Perhaps what is most frustrating is that in our office of well over 30 people, there are approximately 3 who don't have power yet. What makes our neighborhood so damn unimportant?

We have hung in there like champions. We don't complain (until right now), our kids have been phenomenally well-behaved considering they've been upset from their routine like never before. We have kept the house relatively tidy. I didn't even bitch when I had to throw out half the refrigerator, because I figured that was part of the game. Had I known that we'd be camping in a POA for up to 2 weeks, perhaps I would have done things a little differently.

Give us some damn power. We've been good.

2 comments:

photog said...

You guys are always welcome to come over. I feel almost guilty that we've had power since last Monday.

Tell Kir to give Feisty a call if she wants to come over during the day with the kids to escape the heat. Seriously. It's supposed to reach the upper 80's tomorrow. We have a/c, cable, and an econo-sized w/d. Seriously.

Call me tomorrow and I'll give you her cell number. Seriously.

red.hot.mamma! said...

Just think of it as your own version of Frontier House!

No, I didn't mean that AT ALL. I would be fuming, too. You're handling it spectacularly well, actually. I'd be going crazy, screaming at passersby down at the power company headquarters and end up arrested or something. I'm sorry you don't have power yet and I hope you get it soon.

On a related note, I was in Houston briefly last night & today. Driving is...quite the uh, challenge with random lights out. It's one thing during the day, but when I was driving around at 9pm on my way to pick someone up at Hobby, it was very disconcerting. I understand it'll take a while to fix all those lights, but how 'bout some flashers or temporary stop signs in the meantime? It's so dangerous!