Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Update

I am currently sitting in my office at work. The office is closed, but there is power, which is more than I can say for my home. We have been without power since the hurricane hit; though it sounds like most of my friends have had theirs restored. I'm looking forward to getting the power back, as I am getting tired of hearing the constant running of generators from the neighbors (part of that is jealousy, but part is also genuine annoyance at the noise in the middle of the night).

About the hurricane. We did well. The storm was kind to us and our neighbors; just a few downed branches. The family next door lost one tree, and there were a couple more down on our street, but nothing too major. The people on the street behind us got hit much worse. Trees were down all over that street.

I slept through the storm. My wife did not. She had trouble sleeping that night. The kids were scared, but we let them camp out in the living room (just in case, as I did not want them upstairs during the storm), and they were all right for that.

Except for having no power, we are doing pretty well. We have gas, so our range works and we can cook. We have hot and cold running water, so we can bathe. I have to make daily trips to the grocery store to buy food for the day as we have no refrigerator, but we do have coolers full of ice (now). I am currently charging the battery on my laptop so that maybe I can get some news this evening.

By the end of the week, we're going to have to get some laundry done, but other than that, we are hanging in there all right. Hopefully daycare will have power back next week and we can both get back to work.

I'll have more of an update later.

2 comments:

Just Wondering said...

Halleluljah, Steve! We've been thinking about you and your family over at V&V and I requested some good thoughts and fervent prayers on behalf of y'all.

Glad to hear you guys made out okay.
JW

red.hot.mamma! said...

Glad to hear you made it through okay. Sending you electricity restoration vibes...