Thursday, September 04, 2008

Thanks, but no Thanks

Sarah Palin's speech last night seemed forced to me, the parts I could stand to listen to. The speech was filled with rhetoric and no substance, and condescending attacks on the Democrats for having a convention filled with rhetoric and no substance. I heard misrepresentations of the truth - "I told Congress thanks, but no thanks on the bridge to nowhere," A community organizer (code for black activist) has no responsibilities, that Senator McCain was a maverick, to name a few.

This is not so much an attack on Sarah Palin, as she did not write the speech, President Bush's speechwriters wrote the speech - you know, the speechwriters who gave us "a uniter, not a divider." But, she does have to wear some of the burden, as she accepted the nomination and the duty to be the voice for these speeches.

I find it humorous that the McCain camp has decided to attack the press for digging into Palin's past. How dare they?! She's the Republican VP candidate - we know what we need to know, why do you need to know it, too? Sure, she may be ethically challenged, but we don't know that for certain, and besides, it doesn't matter if she fires people who don't toe her line - that's the Republican way! You know when you are in public office that you serve at the pleasure of the Executive.

The more I look at Palin, the less I like her. She appears to be more of the same, and this country doesn't need that. McCain made a bad choice for VP, and that speaks to what types of decisions he would make if he were to win this fall.

John McCain is running for President and was a POW.

3 comments:

Just Wondering said...

Steve, hope it was okay with you that I quoted liberally (no pun intended) from this fine post yesterday, giving you full credit, of course!
Cheers.

Steve said...

No, I don't mind, JW.

Thanks, Feisty.

photog said...

Brilliant.

I'm voting for and new president. And I'm not a POW.

(sorry it took a hurricane to catch up on all your posts.)