Friday, September 30, 2005

More random trivia

I seem to have gotten in the habit of Haiku Wednesdays and Random Trivia Thursdays, which is fine in my book, but today, I have a useless piece of trivia that I've not been able to get out of my head, so I will share the burden with all of you.

If you can trick a chicken into believing there are 28 hours in a day, they will lay larger, stronger eggs. No word on how you trick a chicken, but I can't believe it would be that hard. They don't strike me as the smartest creatures, I mean, you can hypnotize one by drawing a line in the sand...

2 comments:

red.hot.mamma! said...

Can't you just do that with artificial lighting? It's not like chickens tell time, so what you're doing is tricking their bodies by messing with their Circadian rhythms. You can do the same thing with plants.

Are you running low on eggs or something?

And this chicken riddle thing is nothing. I can't get that horrible Shakira song out of my head. It's been weeks! It truly is una tortura. (Ay, amor, me duele tanto...)

Anonymous said...

My Grandma put glass eggs in the nests to trick the chickens into laying. I guess it was thought that if the chicken thought she had an egg, she would stay on the nest and lay more eggs. Why else would they have been able to get glass eggs? She even used lightbulbs sometimes.