Saturday, February 16, 2008

Eve of Destruction

I once read that Barry McGuire was credited with the first protest song, with Eve of Destruction. I was listening to some oldies this morning, and came across this song, and decided to give it a listen, since it's been a bit of a while since I'd last heard it.

As I listened to it, thinking back about 1965 and what was going on in the world at that time, I kept drawing parallels in my mind to today (which many people have done before me; I don't claim to be breaking new ground here). But one that really hit me was a line that I've missed for years in the song. McGuire is singing about projecting hypocrisy, which resonated to me the invocation of the Bible by the Religious Right to condemn anything they disapprove of, and he sings the line "hate your next door neighbor, but don't forget to say grace." What a great line.

No comments: