Thursday, February 21, 2008

I missed it

The Clinton-Obama debate was on tonight. I don't have cable, so I was unable to watch it on television, and I turned on my computer too late in the evening to catch it, though I did read the recaps on CNN.com.

It sounds as though it was mostly civil, with a couple barbs traded. It also sounds like both candidates were being cautious not to offend any demographics.

Hillary apparently tried to bring in Obama's alleged plagiarism (off of a man who has endorsed Obama, despite said alleged plagiarism), which brought a chorus of boos, which is a good thing. I don't much care for Clinton, and I think Austin, Texas, and probably most of America are tired of negative campaigning. Perhaps the issue would have more resonance if it was an issue for the person from whom the Obama campaign allegedly took the statements, or if saying things that have already been said hasn't been done for decades in politics. But it's not. And trying to make an issue of it in the wake of a public that doesn't want to hear about it just hurts her campaign.

I'm not convinced I like Obama, but I'm pretty sure I like him better than Hillary. Either way, I don't care for a lot of their platforms. The only problem is, there's not really anybody on either party that I particularly care for. And I don't relish the idea of voting third party again, though if that's what I have to do to keep the bile from coming up and the buyer's remorse from hitting too hard, then that's what I'll do - tell the major parties that I'm not interested in what they're selling, and that there's something else out there that is more in tune with what I support.

No comments: