Tuesday, April 29, 2008

More on Roger Clemens

I drive by the high school Roger Clemens attended fairly regularly. It also happens to be the same high school that Tron guy attended (random trivia).

That's pretty much the closest connection I have with Roger Clemens. Other people, reportedly, have (much) closer relationships.

Clemens denied the inappropriate relationship, which is expected. McCready did not. This becomes another version of the steroid situation. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with people believing either party based solely on what people said in the paper.

Even worse than that, though, is Calvin Murphy. I'm not a fan of Calvin Murphy's show. I rarely listen to him, though he's on ESPN radio on my drive home from work. Yesterday, though, I heard him for about 3 minutes. Someone was explaining why he believed Clemens was guilty, I think he was referring to the steroid issue (where I suspect he's guilty as well). The guy was discussing the evidence that's come up and how he thinks that shows Roger did do it. Calvin Murphy, though, instead of listening to the guy's points, interrupted constantly to inject his own personal experience in the matter (for those who don't know, Calvin Murphy was charged with and exonerated of indecent conduct with his children). He essentially said "they had testimony of 5 people against me and I didn't do it, so Clemens is innocent."

This is ludicrous. I'm just going to touch on the simplest part of this argument: Clemens' situation is not Murphy's situation. You cannot compare them simply because there are two separate groups of facts to consider. But that doesn't matter when your primary concern is more about being loud and heard than being right, or at least reasoned.

No comments: