Saturday, May 24, 2008

These are my kind of people

Not just figuratively.

I've mentioned before that one of the things that appeal to me about the Methodist Church is it's willingness to encourage people to think for themselves, to find their own conclusions. It comes as no surprise to me, then, that the Methodist Church would pass a resolution stating that "[t]he promotion of religion or any particular religion in the public schools is contrary to the First Amendment." What is surprising, though, is that at the conference where this resolution was passed, the Methodist Church actually passed THREE resolutions expressing support for evolutionary science.

I think part of why I identify so readily with the Methodist church is that they seem to get what I get. You can keep religious instruction/coercion out of school and still remain a spiritual, religious person. Just because the word of God is not preached in school does not mean that He does not enter through the hearts of those who believe in Him. The strength of one's faith should not rest in the presence or absence of that faith's instruction in a government building. If it is, then perhaps the change needs to occur in you first.

In other news, I moved into an office yesterday. I now have a view.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I take issue with so-called Christians who home school their children. Where is Christian love more needed than in public school? Christians, if you are keeping your chidlren home, you are not practicing the instruction given by Jesus. You ae hiding your light. Get with it.