Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sound Off!

In a move to prevent future administrations from declaring war based on debatably accurate evidence, Representative Charles Rangel of New York has stated that he intends to propose a bill that would require Americans to register for a draft upon turning 18. The representative says that we need the draft to make future lawmakers more cautious about starting a war where their children or their representeds' children would be placed in harm's way. Additionally, he supports his position by commenting on the suggestions that we need more soldiers in Iraq, and that if we are going to challenge Iran and North Korea (who we SHOULD have invaded, but I may have touched on that once or twice in the past), then we need more troops.

Rep. Rangel's proposal would make draft eligible Americans between the ages of 18 and 42.

While I don't think it would go over well with America, I do think I support a draft. We have units that are going on their third tour in Iraq. We have a war in Afghanistan that has been pushed to the back burner while we're busy "winning" in Iraq. We have a force that is undersized for the task that has been asked of it by the administration, and one that needs help. Raising the enlistment age so that those ardent supporters of the war who were too old to enlist in the past didn't alleviate the problem - in part because many war supporters are too hypocritical to take their turn standing the line voluntarily - and additional motivation is needed. Freedom isn't free, and while it might be nice to say "I've supported the troops from the beginning," it's an even better thing to say "I support the troops because they are my comrades in arms. I served proudly alongside them and am honored to know that I helped them protect our country and the freedom we love so dearly." Trust me on this.

And maybe, just maybe, it will require future administrations to be a little less trigger happy when deciding to go to war.

No comments: