Thursday, May 12, 2005

Letter to my Congressman

Dear Congressman/Senator (your name here),

When I voted in this last election, I selected the candidate who I thought would best be able to represent me in Washington D.C. I expected that candidate to uphold and defend the Constitution, as (s)he must swear to do, and to work in my best interests, and the best interests of not just the state you represent but the nation as a whole.

As it happens, the candidate I voted for was you, and you won. You can thank me later. Right now, I'm calling on you to uphold your duty as my representative/Congressperson and represent me and my fellow Americans in the governing of our nation. When you propose a bill, I want to know that it's a bill that your constituents (including me) would want. When you vote for or against a bill that another has proposed, I want to know that you are voting the way America wants you to. When it comes to judicial appointments, I don't want you to grandstand, recite purple prose, vilify the other party, or alienate anyone. I want you to decide whether the judicial candidate is valid on his or her merits as a judge; not just whether he or she would overturn Roe v. Wade, or if he or she is a strict constructionist, originalist, or whateverist of the Constitution. Quit bickering. You're there to work for America, not against the other party's "agenda." Consider our opinions, the ones who voted for you, and the ones who didn't vote for you, but support you because that's their responsibility as they exercise their freedoms.

Freedom. Liberty. Under no circumstances should you take any measures that would sacrifice our liberty. I can't imagine any rational justification for abridging any of the most fundamental of our rights. We are Americans, and we desire to remain a land of the free, and if you aren't willing to do your part to preserve that, then you need to find a new line of work.

I thank you for the time you took to read this. I hope that we can converse again.

sincerely,
American Citizen

1 comment:

Bookworm said...

Great letter. I wonder what a Rep actually gets from such a good letter after his staff has summarized it for a briefing session: "Rep. So and So, one of your voters wants you to get the judicial nominations to the floor for an up and down vote." That's the letter's essential message, of course, but the nuances are what makes it so good. I always suspect that our nuances get circular filed, with the Member of Congress only getting the Cliff Notes.