Sunday, October 02, 2005

Worth the paper it's written on

Not everyone keeps completely up to date with current events. Most of my apartment complex couldn't tell you who the Speaker of the House is, let alone that he is someone in line for the Presidency. What does this have to do with the title of the article? I just wanted to post an "I heard it from this guy who posted it on a blog who heard it on TV about someone else" post on the latest developments in the Valerie Plame situation.
For those who don't know (which I don't think includes any of my normal readers), Valerie Plame is the CIA agent who's identity was revealed in a newspaper article in the New York Times. Journalist Judith Miller had been jailed for quite some time because she refused to reveal the name of her source.
Well, she came out of jail, and testified. And here comes the Ferris Bueller illness story: I read in The Moderate Voice that Think Progress has reported that George Stephanopolous said at the end of his round table discussion on ABC's this week the following:

Definitely a political problem but I wonder, George Will, do you think it's a manageable one for the White House, especially if we don't know whether Fitzgerald is going to write a report of have indictments but if he is able to show as a source close to this told me this week, that President Bush and Vice President Cheney were actually involved in some of these discussions.

Now, before you go off one way or the other on this, look at how many levels of hearsay there are in there. Don't rush into any thought processes at this time; let everything sort itself out. However, keep the developments in mind, as this could get really messy before it's all over. I personally hope that the "source" is wrong. I don't think we need any more scandal from the highest office for the next couple decades.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

Newton Gingrich. Yup he's the speaker of the house. But they all speak once in awhile don't they? I'm the speaker in my house, unless Brett has something to say (that does happen a lot)but right now I've just got one thing to say, I have no idea what you're talking about here.

Steve said...

Right now, the speaker of the house is Dennis Hastert, not Newt.