Sunday, May 27, 2007

Why Unions are Necessary

One of the Reasons is what happened at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory in New York in 1911 (the link will take you to Professor Douglas Linder's website from UMKC - excellent collection of important/famous cases throughout history). I remember reading the words of Triangle Factory fire in history class in high school, but never really got what it was I was reading about - I knew it was bad - I didn't realize the purpose behind the story.

I believe in unions, but I believe unions need to be vocal only when necessary, and basically be a strong, silent enforcer outside that.

1 comment:

Bellejar said...

I remember the triangle fire, that and The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, great reasons unions exist. In auditing Union plans I found, many Union officials turn out to be drunk on power and just as jerky as the employers. I agree they are necessary, but when they get bad, they are really bad.