Tuesday, September 11, 2007

On September 11

It's been six years now since our lives changed forever.

Yet we don't seem to be too much more different.

The government quickly moved in 2001 to limit our civil liberties in the name of security. We have had many discussions on whether we should trust the government or demand accountability. We have declared "war" on the non-entity "terror." We have invaded two countries, yet are apparently no closer to catching the leader of the group responsible for the attack on our nation.

I keep trying to think of something, anything, unique to say, but really, I can't. I feel as though we should have changed, but we didn't. Instead, it feels as though our leaders took this tragedy and tried to milk it for political gain and popular control. I feel like the only real change is that people in America now feel an obligation to stop for a minute and think about September 11, 2001. And that makes me sad.

3 comments:

nuje said...

How should we have changed?

Anonymous said...

I find what you said interesting. "..yet are apparently no closer to catching the leader of the group responsible for the attack on our nation." Might I suggest that the actual "ring leader" may be closer than we think. Bin Laden is the scapegoat. I'm not saying he's not a terrorist or a threat to security or that he doesn't hate the good 'ole US of A, but who's really to blame here? Might I suggest some interesting documentaries for your viewing pleasure..."9/11 Truth" about the wives of 9/11 victims and the hell they wen through to get the 9/11 Commission (which ended up being a total waste of time). "Farenheit 9/11 and my fave, "Loose Change". Watch them with an open mind. Things that make you go "hum...."

nuje said...

Brilliant.