Friday, September 28, 2007

Sherlock Holmes

I'm currently in the middle of reading "The Complete Sherlock Holmes."

It's interesting; when I was a child, I decided I didn't like Sherlock Holmes, because I thought the name was silly, and I hated that hat I saw on the guys that played Holmes.

But I really liked watching Without a Clue, which was Holmes and Watson with a twist. And I am a big fan of Monk, which is Sherlock Holmes in San Francisco. So I figured, if I like things based on Holmes, I very well could like the real thing. And I do.

A couple of the mysteries require conclusions that you really wouldn't be able to figure out unless you had particular knowledge (such as where the ashes on the carpet came from), but in a few of the stories, I've been able to figure it out relatively quickly. In both situations, though, I find myself entertained, and it's a nice change from children's fare and politics.

I think I'm going to go to bed early tonight.

No comments: