Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving

And, as usual, the Lions are going to play.

I was listening to sports talk radio on the way home from work today, and the folks on the radio were bitching about the Lions being on. They suggested that perhaps the Lions should not have a monopoly on Thanksgiving, in part because they stink. Yes. The Lions are bad. But they haven't always been bad, and they have even won a few times on Turkey day, just not since they hired Matt Millen.

Here's what I think: The entire league was approached some 60-odd years ago about doing a game on Thanksgiving. Everybody passed except the Lions. Now that the league is seeing what a coup it is, they want a piece of it. Hence the 3rd game (The Cowboys got the second one after the league volunteered it). These teams had their chance. Tough shit that you passed it up in the past. It would be like telling IBM that they get a piece of Microsoft because it turned out to successful after they passed on it the first time. Cry me a river.

I know that I would likely have a somewhat different view on this if I wasn't a Lions fan, but darnit, someone has to be.

2 comments:

nuje said...

0-16. I'm keeping the faith that this year they will finally do it.

Steve said...

Part of me hopes they do, too. That way the Millen Era will be properly remembered. But it's not a record anyone really wants for their team.