Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day Recap

I went to work today, as so much of America did. There was a Veteran's Day parade downtown that went through the theater district; the parade route started at our building, so we went down to give it a look right around the start of it. There were a couple floats, several veteran's groups, marching bands, JROTC units, all rather nice. Through this, my friend looks at me and asks, "So what do you say to this? Happy Veteran's Day? Merry Veteran's Day?" I looked at him and replied, "I've always just said 'Thank you.'"

This evening, my son had a Veteran's Day program at school. All the Fourth Graders stood on stage and sang songs. In between this, various students got on stage and expressed what Freedom or America means to them. After, all the veterans in the audience were honored, followed by a slide show again honoring the veterans. The day was nice.

As the assembly finished, a gentleman who had been sitting behind me stood, shook the hands of the Soldier and Marine veterans who had been sitting next to him and then shook my hand. Each time, he made eye contact and said "Thank you for your service."

That's as simple as need be.

No comments: