Monday, November 03, 2008

What I Hope

I have made my decisions for my votes tomorrow.

Here is what I hope. I hope that if Senator Obama wins, he acts as prudently as he has done throughout this campaign. I hope that he attempts to undo the smash and grab tactics of the previous administration in strengthening the executive branch. I hope that he selects cabinet and staff members based not on loyalty to himself or his party, but rather based on their ability to do the job for which they've been hired.

If Senator McCain wins, I hope he returns to the pragmatic individual he was before this campaign began. I hope he reaches conclusions after thinking about the consequences of possible plans of action rather than vice-versa. I hope he understands that Separation of Powers is no more a concept than Separation of Church and State or fundamental rights or the existence of taxes. It's a necessary part of what makes this country work. Mostly, though, I hope that the country is willing to be led by him, as his campaign has vilified so many who don't walk lockstep with the campaign's wishes (you know, the "real" Americans).

I hope that this country can begin to mend from a painful 8 years. (Even ardent Bush supporters must admit this has been a less-than-stellar presidency, just as ardent Bush detractors must concede that he has done some things right)

I hope that Stare Decisis will mean something again.

I hope that the Supremacy Clause is Supreme again.

I hope that our standing in the world will improve, as we have seen the effects of "You're either with us or against us."

I hope the recession is short - it's necessary, but I hope it's short.

I hope that Iraq becomes an ally in actuality, not just based on necessity.

I hope that Osama Bin Laden is captured.

I hope, because I am an American.

Mostly, though, I hope that I can sleep at night thinking I made the best choices based on the evidence provided.

No comments: