Friday, August 11, 2006

Brushstrokes

I've commented about the broad-brushed approach the administration takes in referring to the enemies in the war on terror, and how I think it's counterproductive to our stated goal. I've also said that I dislike the term "Islamofascists" in that it's inflammatory and can create the perception in readers and listeners that the religion of Islam is a fascist religion and that all who practice the religion are fascists, hence bad. Apparently, I'm not the only one. You see, when you use fear as a political tool, you alienate demographics. In this case, the demographic that gets alienated are the Muslims who are not terrorists. They get grouped in with the folks who decidedly are fighting against us.

Combine this tactic with the reported military tactic of arresting all Iraqi males of military age on suspicion of being an insurgent, and it's not surprising that the sectarian violence in Iraq is getting worse instead of better.

No comments: