Friday, August 18, 2006

Wal Mart woes

Understand that I didn't know this until today. Andrew Young, who once worked with Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., former Mayor of Atlanta, and former UN Ambassador, was employed as the PR director for Wal Mart. He was, until he quit yesterday after scandal erupted from his pr tactic of derogatory remarks.

For those who didn't hear this, Andrew Young said in response to a question about Wal-Mart forcing mom and pop stores to close (something I think WalMart does, as well), "Well, I thin kthey should; they ran the 'mom and pop' stores out of my neighborhood ... But you see, those are the people who have been overcharging us - selling us stale bread and bad meat and wilted vegetables. And tehy sold out and moved to Florida. I think they've ripped off our communities enough. First is was the Jews, then it was Koreans and now it's Arabs; very few black people own these stores."

Now one can argue (and perhaps they should) that it's not the Jews, Koreans, or Arabs' fault that few black people own mom and pop stores, but that's really nowhere near the issue. The issue is that the PR director for WalMart, which has been suffering from increased bad PR of late, really bit the hand that feeds him.

For those who are interested, I found the Wal-Mart Watch Blog today, which highlights the current events regarding Wal-Mart. I will add the link to my site directly.

BTW, I read a great post by Janet at Good Enough Mom about Self-help when dealing with WalMart. Stop by here and see what she has to say.

No comments: