Sunday, January 21, 2007

Preteen reading

When I was 8, I joined the cub scouts, and received a subscription to Boys' Life magazine. In the magazine were various comics. The one that caught my eye was The City of Gold and Lead, which happened to be a comic version of a book written by John Christopher.

The Boy got the City of Gold and Lead (the middle book) and the other two books of the trilogy (The White Mountains and The Pool of Fire) for Christmas this year. He's 8 now, and the same age I was when I started reading. The books are probably a little too difficult for him to understand yet, and he's not really shown an interest in reading them yet. I, on the other hand, read the White Mountains in a day a couple weeks ago, and have my eye set on re-reading the City of Gold and Lead here shortly (when I'm not reading for class).

These are rather good books written in the 1960s. Science Fiction in a manner that is very approachable for children. I highly recommend these books for anyone who has pre-teens or teenagers who have an interest in Science Fiction - good stories.

4 comments:

nuje said...

Cool. Which is book 1?

Steve said...

The White Mountains. John Christopher. Should be available at the local library. Otherwise it is available for purchase at your nearest Barnes and Noble or Borders bookstore.

nuje said...

Gracias. I think Teach will dig 'em.

Steve said...

Welcome Back Bruce! Hope Vista came out well for you.