Monday, October 27, 2008

Conceding the Argument

A friend of mine once said something to the effect of "if you compare Bush to Hitler, you're basically conceding the argument." And he was right. Resorting to attempts to associate a politician you dislike with a megalomaniacal ethnic cleansing mass murderer implies that you have no cogent points to make in your argument.

It's in that vein that comparing Barack Obama to Stalin, Hussein, and Pol Pot concedes the argument.

For what it's worth, I've seen no evidence that Barack Obama "hates" anyone, or that he's intent on exacting revenge on anyone. I've heard no reference to any enemies list (though that could be due to the hyperdeferential media).

2 comments:

nuje said...

I agree that comparing anyone to Hitler usually is a concession.

I have to say though, it was pretty smart of you not to include Marx in your list.

Steve said...

I sort of figured.

Chilly this morning.