Thursday, October 02, 2008

The Vice-Great Debaters

In my opinion, Senator Biden won tonight. He managed to make a case for Senator Obama and himself and against Senator McCain. He did so without attacking Sarah Palin, that I could see (I did not watch the entire debate, so cannot speak to the entire body). He gave examples, he connected with the audience.

What I saw from Governor Palin did not alter my view of her - not because I dislike her (I don't), but because she did not provide concrete answers to guide me toward why I should vote for her. She would respond to a question with talking points that were at best tangentially related to the question, and seemed to resort to folksiness when she was stuck (god bless ya, there ya go, Joe, etc.). Perhaps the reason why she couldn't give more direct or concrete answers is because she's such a devout Christian, and as we all know, the Devil's in the details.

Governor Palin was clearly overmatched in this debate, and her charm could not carry her through. Even if it had won the moment, it's much like cotton candy - it looks like there's a bunch there, but looking back, you wonder what it all was.

1 comment:

Feisty 'Bama Princess said...

I completely agree!