Thursday, August 25, 2005

The Binjo Ditch Rules

I've been pretty fortunate with my blog so far. I haven't had to deal with trolls, and the number of spams I get has been rather low. However, I know that there are folks out there who enjoy spamming and trolling, and I know people hard line on issues. I do it myself. I firmly believe we need to remove Kim Chong Il from power in Korea. I am unwavering on that.

There are other things I'm not so steadfast about, and I enjoy hearing all sides of an argument. As such, I have decided to start my version of "the rules," with which I expect my visitors to comply.

1. Speak your opinion. This is a blog. I post because I want to hear what you think. I often find it easier if I take a position on an issue than if I try to write from a neutral spot. That's my writing style. If you agree, great. Tell me what you think. If you don't agree with what I write, great. Let me know what it is you disagree about. I can't develop a well-formed opinion if I don't hear all angles.

2. Consider, for a moment, that you might be wrong. I do this constantly, because I fear that by not doing so, I have admitted defeat. I was given a mind. I get to think, to reason. Part of reasoning is realizing someone else has a valid point.

3. Be civil. This should be a no-brainer. Every society and every major religion throughout recorded history has some version of the Golden Rule. The relative anonymity the Web provides should not shield someone from their obligation to remain civil. I have no tolerance for trolls. I have no patience when it comes to people trying to start a flame war. Spirited debate is a good thing; angry retorts aren't.

4. Have fun. I am not a pundit; I have no agenda (save my stance on North Korea). I am not a wordsmith. I claim little more than to be a diversion to the rest of the day. I want to bring topics that people can think about, laugh about, and talk about.

5. Tell your friends. This is not a hard and fast rule, and there's an asterisk to it. I don't advertise. I don't solicit hits. I enjoy hearing from all people, and welcome everyone. So, if you like what you read, tell someone else. Maybe he or she will like it, too.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

what is trolling?

English Professor said...

Disagreeing just to disagree. Sniping, baiting, bashing, not for a genuine exchange of ideas but just to be a jerk.

If you need an example, go check Polickal Animal's blog--he's got a live one on his hands.