Saturday, January 03, 2009

Happy Epiphany

I know it's not yet Epiphany, but it's close.

We went out for dinner with Mr. and Mrs. the Photog New Year's Day. We ate at Cafe Adobe. While the service was all right (we got our refills without needing to be asked), the greeters/sitters left something to be desired.

We got there shortly before the Photogs did, and I mentioned that we would need a table for 7. The blonde greeter stated there was no table available yet, but that they had a booth in the smoking section, "but nobody is smoking in there now." I mentioned that we would prefer a non-smoking table, and she said that would be no problem, and it would take them about 2 minutes to put a couple tables together. I said that would be fine and sat down to wait. While waiting, the Photogs arrived while the Brunette greeter was sitting a table of 25. The Blonde greeter was sitting a table of 5 and another group of 8 or so was also seated. I went back up (after mentioning to the Photogs about the offer for the booth that I declined as it was in the smoking section), and asked about our table as they had seated 3 groups before us. Brunette Seater said they didn't have a table ready, but that there was a booth available. I asked if this was the same booth in the smoking section that I had already declined, and she said "yes, but nobody is smoking there right now." Mrs. Photog astutely noted that simply because nobody was smoking now did not preclude anybody from coming in and smoking after we'd been seated. I commented on how I was confused that they had no table for us even though they seated 3 groups each with more than 4 people and two of which were larger than ours even though they said it would only be 2 minutes for us to be seated. Blonde Seater grabbed some place settings while I was asking the manager what was going on, and she went and started setting two tables together for us. The manager commented that it would be no problem for us to get two tables together (the place was fairly empty; it was New Year's after all), and the Brunette seater went to get some place settings and started to lead us to where Blonde Seater had already set the menus down, so she put hers back.

Long story short (too late), we finally got seated. As I said the service itself wasn't bad, though the food took a little longer to get out than I would have normally liked. The company was terrific, as the Photogs are always fun to be with. They even got the Binjo kids a terrific gift - season passes to the Zoo. This is good news, indeed! Thank you, again, Photogs - the kids will have a great time.

Right now, the Boy is ill with whatever the Apple had a couple weeks ago - high fever, some congestion. It's a good little flu or something. Hopefully he'll be okay in the next day or two - I don't like seeing the young'uns sick.

5 comments:

LuisLiviaLuisa said...

A Holy and Happy Feast of the Epiphany!
Jesus loves you and Mary too.
Luisa from Lima - Peru
You can listen to 32 minutes of Christmas carols in many languages, something about Russian Christmas also celebrated during this week, a meditation by Father Roberto Mena, some traditions about this feast and much more…in: http://levantateysalacaminar.podomatic.com
“God is shining forth in the most unwanted and unsuspected places…” St. Anthony Messenger

Unknown said...

I love Cafe Adobe--the taco salad is great!

I took David to the bulgolki place and he enjoyed it. Mmmmm...we're satiated for a while now.

photog said...

Thanks for sharing a meal with us. The Binjo family was as charming as ever. I hope you get much use of the membership.

FYI ... we're making an offer on a house in my parent's 'hood. We can own for the same cost of renting. And cut our commute time in half. We'll keep you posted.

Steve said...

But that's nowhere near here!

Good luck, I know you'll enjoy owning (again)

Kirsten said...

We'll be sad to not have our almost-neighbors anymore, photog.

I've seen a few houses near us up for sale.... although I most absolutely and completely understand the commute issue.