Saturday, January 10, 2009

Time to Face the Change

There's been a little turnover in the office going on. One of the document reviewers I worked with when I started left yesterday to pursue an internship related to her career choice. Additionally, one of the staff attorneys with whom I've worked for the last year or so is leaving next week. On top of that, one of the other staff attorneys has started looking for a change in jobs as well. All this means that there is a void in the office of staff with whom I commiserate. While change is part of life, it also seems like it's a sign for me that it's time to start looking at moving on.

I am a contract attorney at a mass tort law firm. Practically, this means that my days are numbered, as litigation can dry up anytime, and settlement can come at any time. So it's not a bad idea to keep your ear to the ground anyway. But having fewer associations with the firm will make it easier to break away.

Wish me luck in my search. Maybe I can find the mythological $100k job with a 30 hour workweek and no stress.

3 comments:

photog said...

Or maybe you've just become more valuable to the firm.

If you find a job paying $100K for 30 hours a week, let me know. I love my job, but I'm not making $100K and I definitely work more than 30 hours a week.

DB said...

"Maybe I can find the mythological $100k job with a 30 hour workweek and no stress."

I have probably read way too much into this post, but try a federal government organization (like State Dept, FBI, etc). No, stop laughing, I am serious. If you bump up your criteria to 40 hours a week with normal stress (plus bureaucratic crap), depending on your experience, a GS-12 (5-10 years experience) and up salary in DC (especially with our nifty 5% locality increase this year) easily reaches $100K and much higher.

Ya, I am still betting I read too much into the post lol.

Steve said...

Actually, DB, I have been thinking towards a federal position. Having spent several years in the Air Force, I'm used to bureaucracy, and do appreciate the structure and security those positions bring.