Friday, January 02, 2009

MAYBE It's Not Hypocrisy

But I'm not sure.

New York state assembly speaker Sheldon Silver reportedly has stated he would support Caroline Kennedy's appointment to the Senate. The reason I think there is some hypocrisy here is due to his request that Tina Fey do her mock-up of Sarah Palin (you betcha!) at a fundraiser just last month. You see, in my opinion it's wrong to make light of one candidate so completely unqualified for the position she's seeking and then state the very next month that you would support the appointment of one candidate even less qualified to a federal position.

As I said before - if Caroline Kennedy wants to be a Senator, then she needs to enter her name as a candidate, run for office, and be elected. The State owes its citizens a qualified Senator to replace Senator Clinton.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he thought Governor Palin was eminently qualified, and he just enjoyed Tina Fey's portrayal. But I am skeptical of this possibility.

No comments: