Monday, February 05, 2007

Apparently, I'm boring

This is evidenced, apparently, by the lack of Jessica Simpson content in my blog posts.

I have a reason for this, and it's not just because I find this stuff interesting. It's because I would sooner gargle with pureed dart frogs than mention anything associated with that bad-acting-full-body-convusion-singing-overhyped-undertalented-annoying person (note - these are opinions, not facts - author makes no express or implied statement of truth for any of the aforementioned adjectives).

But, since I am so boring, I thought I'd take the moment to write about something a little more interesting. About a walk I took one damp evening. You see, my friend and I had been trying to get to this restaurant called Bacco's, and I knew it was on Chartres in New Orleans. So I told her we had to go to Chartres. And we eventually got to Chartres, thanks to my navigational skills, i.e. being able to read street signs. So while we are on Chartres, where I knew the restaurant was, and made clear mention of said fact on numerous occasions, my friend took it upon herself to move OFF of Chartres, because she recognized a building. Knowing that I can't leave a friend unattended in New Orleans, especially at night when she's not been to New Orleans before, I alter my route to stay with her. Eventually, we end up back on Chartres (naturally) at a corner where I recognize a plaque on the sidewalk. I make note of this plaque and say that we are almost at Bacco's. She insists that we have to leave Chartres again, because she sees the building "right there," and so she takes off in a westerly direction. We then finally come up on the back of the building she sees, and she needs to get in the front of it so that she can get her bearings. I try to walk up the alley (north), but she refuses, instead going around another building (North, then East) and ending up right where we would have been had we gone up the alley I'd started down. Then, knowing where she was, she proceeds to lead us further east until we get to the street she knows we have to go down. I look at the street sign. it's Chartres. We head south on Chartres, PASS THE CORNER WHERE I SAID WE WERE RIGHT AT THE RESTAURANT, walk another block south, and there's the place. Unfortunately, because we went for a trip around the block, we got to the restaurant just 10 minutes after they'd finished seating for the evening, so we didn't get ot eat there. Then it started to rain. And I with no umbrella, and my friend with hers breaking.

Not all stories have happy endings. I've still not eaten at Bacco's. It probably is the best restaurant in New Orleans.

Moral of the story, never let a friend who's never been to New Orleans look for that building. It's like trying to find the end of the rainbow.

3 comments:

red.hot.mamma! said...

Jessica Simpson content? Are you trying to get more hits to your site or something? If so, you need to put the word "naked" in there somewhere.

Steve said...

You'd vouch for the opinion that my blog is boring, Janet? How mean! ;-)Granted, it's not for all tastes, but there is a dedicated core of myself who finds this stuff enthralling!

Steve said...

Wow, somebody certainly has a high opinion of herself, huh?

I didn't say YOU were the one who said my blog was boring, did I Jamie?
I just said that you can see I'm boring because of a lack of Jessica Simpson content, which happens to coincide with a comment you had made.

Seriously. Some people think that they are the subject of every conversation that occurs. It's embarrassing, really. I'm embarrassed for you.

As for getting on N. Rampart, who was it who told our driver that we would "be ok?" It was you! Fortunately, due to my leadership of knowing precisely when to leave North Rampart, we did end up ok, but I think a little more gratitude than what you've shown is in order.

Sherpa - like the sherpa that led Hillary up the north face.