Sunday, January 29, 2006

Constituency

Senator Sam Brownback (R - Kan) related a story to Rolling Stone magazine:

[The story is] about a chaplain who challenged a group of senators to reconsider their conception of democracy. "How many constituents do you have?" the chaplain asked. The senators answered: 4 million, 9 million, 12 million. "May I suggest," the chaplain replied, "that you only have one constituent?"

Brownback pauses. That moment, he declares, changed his life. "This" -- being senator, running for president, waving the flag of a Christian nation -- "is about serving one constituent." He raises a hand and points above him.


I find this disconcerting on one level. First, I must say I applaud this man's faith. I think it commendable that he feels strong enough in his faith to let his Christianity guide his decisions. There's a problem with his response, though. He discusses serving one constituent. I'm not certain, since I don't live there, but I'd be more than willing to believe that there are more than just Christians and Jews in Kansas. I'd even suggest that there are Buddhists, Confuscianists, Wiccan, Hindus, athiests, agnostics, etc. in Kansas. While I see nothing wrong with using your religion as your moral compass and using it to guide your decisions with regard to your life and even as a barometer with your votes, I think he's completely off base with suggesting that there be only one constituent. The senator is a public servant. His job, as I understand it, is to look out for the best interests of his state, his voters, the American people and the American government, not what is in the best interests of the deity of his choice.

Perhaps the spirit of the message is what's more important than the statement itself, but I find it a little disconcerting that he would make such a statement.

If we're in a situation where we're supposed to ensure that even the minority views get heard, and he states clearly that he intends to follow the majority view, then how will the minority view ever get a fair shot?

3 comments:

English Professor said...

And how would we feel about a politician making a similar comment about Allah? That would not play well in Kansas, I don't believe. I'm sure his non-Christian ex-constituents are not feeling the love right now.

Bookworm said...

I agree with you. But it does get back to something about politicians which is always irritating -- their lack of fixed principles. In this gallup driven age, you elect candidate A and, when he gets into office, he magically morphs into candidate B, C, D, ad infinitum. I'd like it if there were a candidate who would announce certain fixed principles, regardless of source (I believe in . . . the Bible, the New York Times, the Sunday Comics, the Koran, Everybody Hates Chris, whatever), so that you'd know what you're getting, and you'd know what is guiding that politician as he makes his real world choices.

English Professor said...

That's the problem, BW--I'm not anything is guiding some of them except the latest Gallup.