Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Study Break

I'm taking a break from reading about Limited Partnership liability. (wouldn't you?) I've decided to put a movie on, and I'm watching Hoosiers.

It's difficult for me to name a favorite anything, but this movie is certainly on my list of favorite movies. It's quite an inspirational film, and great to watch the kids (though some of the "high school" players are balding, which is funny in its own right) learn how to play as a team. The director did an amazing job of emoting the demons the characters have to deal with without force-feeding it to us. The movie feels so natural - a trick that sometimes seems lost on movie makers. I recommend this movie.

Time to get back to work.

2 comments:

English Professor said...

Yeah, I liked it too (even though the romantic story was concocted). What's not to like about Gene Hackman?

Steve said...

I heard someone once describe Barbara Hershey's role in the film as the ultimate token wet-blanket girlfriend. I can't say that I disagree with that. The romance was definitely contrived, but Gene Hackman is one of the great American actors, I think. The only movie I've seen him in that I didn't care for was the Royal Tannenbaums, which I thought was an unmitigated mess from the start to the point we turned it off.