Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Say you, say me

One of the things that always interested me about criminal trials wherein the defendant was found guilty was the prepared speech given by the victim's family. Usually it goes something to the effect of "How dare you, now you've got your comeuppance. You're an evil creature who doesn't deserve the breath you're breathing." And so on. Victim's families make these statements, I assume, as a form of closure, their chance to demonize the convicted person.

This right is protected by a federal law that was enacted in 2004, the Crime Victim's Rights Act, which grants the families the right to be heard. This right to be heard, according to the Ninth Court of Appeals, is a literal right, that the families are allowed to speak, and not be limited to written statements, as District Court Judge Walter ruled.

I appreciate the urge to speak at a conviction, but I don't know how much it helps, outside a personal sense of retribution. If the person convicted did do it, and they are remorseful, your statements aren't going to help any, and in fact will make him (or her) feel worse about the situation. If they're not remorseful, then your statements fall on deaf ears, which doesn't help anyone. Finally, if the person convicted was actually innocent of the crime, then you've wasted your venom and ire on someone who isn't deserving of it, and who is already being punished for a mistake.

Heaven forbid I'm ever in a situation where I have the opportunity to speak at a person convicted of a crime against my family, but if I am, I think I will forego the speech.

No comments: