Friday, January 20, 2006

Safety

Pretty close to a year ago, I wrote the managers of my old apartment complex. They had access control gates, but said that the gates were not for security "they're to keep people out." When I pointed out that the only real reason for keeping people out is the safety of the tenants - without tenants, there's no money, and the complex is valueless - I received a nice answer from the apartment managers, "We're not concerned with your safety."

I made sure to mention that to the apartment managers, who told me that they'd start work on repairing the access control gates, which hadn't worked since we moved in, the following Tuesday. That made me happy, thinking that I could effect change by simply writing a letter.

Unfortunately, my joy didn't last, inasmuch as while they began the repairs, they never finished the repairs. Now, many months later, after we moved out, the complex is in the news. The reason? There was a murder in the complex last night. Some unidentified man was shot and killed in the parking lot, just after midnight.

The general rule with apartments is that if they take measures to provide security - such as build access control gates, hire security guards, put up cameras, etc., then they recognize there is a need for that added security, and thus are under an affirmative obligation to continue to provide that security. If they don't, and someone is injured, the complex can be held liable for that injury. I don't suggest that the man wouldn't have been killed if the gates closed, but it would have been much more difficult for a trespasser with a gun to get in the complex to shoot him.

I'm so glad I don't live there anymore.

4 comments:

Bookworm said...

That's a shocking story. There was a seminal California case (or was it a Texas case?) about a landlord's obligation to provide basic safety for tenants on the property. Those gates are also dangerous if they're not working because they can trap people. A child I know was almost beheaded when he got caught in one of those fences (he's fine, now, I'm happy to say).

Michelle said...

OMG how dreadful. I'm glad y'all got out of there too.

Anonymous said...

Oh my. I'm so glad you were able to move. Now you are in a clean, sunny, much safer environment. Your family is so much happier, much more relaxed. Keep movin' on up, sweetie.

Cassie said...

I remember on the second night of my visit last April Steve took off, barefoot, after someone who tried to break into their car. I'm glad they're out of there too.