Friday, January 27, 2006

Publish or don't

I have excellent news! I have selected a topic on which to write my seminar paper for education law! I've got to write a minimum of 20 pages (which really isn't that much) on a topic of my choosing in the field of education law.

The topic I've chosen is intelligent design. My duty, which I've chosen to accept, is to explain the current law on the topic and devise a proposed course on ID that would pass judicial/constitutional muster. I'm actually excited about this, which is a change from my other writing assignments in law school, so perhaps that's a good omen.

Now to start the research!

3 comments:

freethoughtguy said...

It would always be wrong -- and illegal -- to push religion ("ID") in public schools.

PS ~ A good source for your research is NCSE.

Steve said...

I don't necessarily propose to push religion in public schools. Indeed a religion course in and of itself would probably be violative of the Establishment Clause. However, an elective course covering a secular discussion on various creation ideas, to include ID, might not. Therein lies the challenge.

Thank you for the source, btw. I'll check it out directly.

Bellejar said...

I'd highly recommend reading "Summer of the Gods" by Ed Larson. It is about the scopes trial, it amazes me how little the arguments have changed over the years. Interesting background reading anyway. Dr. Larson won a pulitzer for his book which was a historical prospective. He was one of my profs - interesting fellow.