Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Simplify

I'm not a city guy. I know this. I'm just not comfortable in a metropolitan area. It's too crowded, I don't feel safe, I don't feel as though I can stretch my legs, etc.

Conversely, I don't know how long I could live in the country. I think I'd love the quiet and the open spaces, but I'd probably go stir crazy after a short while. What I need is a suburban location, convenient to what the city has, but not so close that I can feel the city around me.

I also need a place in the country where I can get away from everything. A place like the cabin. My grandparents bought the cabin some 30 years ago, as a refuge, a sanctum sanctorum, a getaway. The cabin is on a small lake in central Michigan. As a child, I'd go fishing on the lake, take the boat out to get some pike or bass. We'd go swimming in the deep spots (it's not a deep lake, only about 12-15 feet at the deepest). We'd go hiking and exploring in the woods around the lake.

I've not been to the cabin since 2000, and before that, it'd been about ten years since I'd been up there. While I'm sure I remember it more fondly now, and I know that if I spent an extended amount of time up there I'd not love it so much (it's a cabin, it's not that big), I think I could really benefit from a week or two up there. I'd like to get out away from everything and all the crowds. I'd like to take the children up to the cabin, so that they can get out and run and explore and discover for the first time all the things my cousins and I discovered for the first time when we were their age.

Some people want sports cars for their midlife crises. I'm different. I want quiet and space to breathe. I miss the cabin.

3 comments:

JMJanssen said...

My family recently purchase a cabin in northern MN. I highly recommend it. Good locations are going quick though. By the time you're a rich lawyer they may all be gone ;)

Michelle said...

Rich lawyer..heh if ever there's an oxymoron..this is it!

I'm with you, forget the ritzy cars...go with peace and solitude......just heaven :)

Steve said...

We'll have to see, it's in the Northeastern part of the Lower Peninsula (We're Trolls, our family - as opposed to Yoopers, from the Upper Peninsula). It's quite a drive, and if I am working anywhere, I won't have the time. In the alternative, I think I might go deep-sea fishing with my father in law and brother in law, provided they can get down here to the gulf. It's only one day, but it's good fun.

Still, I'd like to get up north for a couple weeks. Let's cross our fingers.