Tuesday, January 10, 2006

'Tis better to give than receive

As mentioned yesterday, I needed a new AC adapter for my computer. The folks on the phone were kind enough to inform me that the delivery would be today. That made me happy.

Last evening, the blood center called and asked me if I'd be willing to make another donation. I said certainly. They asked me when, and I said (today) at 12:15, forgetting that I'd have my delivery on the same day. I remembered this morning, when I woke up and looked longingly at my computer. I considered calling the blood people and telling them I'd have to reschedule, because I had to wait for the delivery guy, but I decided against it, thinking that there'd be no way the delivery guy would come the same time as I was donating blood.

11:55 comes around, and no delivery guy. I decide I need to get on my way, and cross my fingers that there'd be no delivery while I was gone. As I start my engine, I look at the gas needle, and realize it's down below the "e." Darn. I had to stop to get gas. As soon as I start filling the tank at the station on the corner, I see a DHL truck drive by, down the road towards where we live. I realize this is a bad thing, as I am not home to greet the delivery guy, and my computer company uses DHL. So, I stop pumping gas (3 gallons), get in the car, drive home as quickly as possible, noting that the DHL guy pulled into an apartment complex a little before mine. I figure there's not going to be more than one delivery truck on my street, so I get home, acknowledging that I'm going to miss my blood appointment. Save lives, BAH! I need an A/C adapter!

About 5 minutes after I get in the house, there's a knock at the door, and voila! I have an A/C adapter. Then, after checking my e-mail (priorities, of course), I hop back in the car and drive to the blood center, which was more than happy to take belated blood. That made me feel good.

Moral of the story: give blood. It requires no work, you just have to sit there. You save lives, and you get to eat cookies. And don't buy my computer.

4 comments:

nuje said...

Mmm, Pete Townsend...

Michelle said...

You bet, cookies and juice is the best bit!

English Professor said...

LOL. So you can have it all!

I've never given blood--for most of my adult life, I was under the required weight limit. I think I've reached it now, so I could probably give. My brother is past the 10 gallon mark.

Cassie said...

When I had Jack my previous c-section scar ruptured and I lost a lot of blood. I had to have a transfusion of two units (I lost 4) and it was pretty creepy but I was glad that someone had taken the time to donate.