Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The importance of a higher education

My children are fans of PBS. In the afternoons on days they don't have school, they watch Zoom, Maya and Miguel, and Cyberchase.

I dig Cyberchase. It's a math and reasoning cartoon with Gilbert Gottfried (not his typical hyperannoying self) as a sidekick and Christopher Lloyd as the bad guy's voice. The show is one of the most refreshing child programs to come out in the last several years, and I'm glad my kids like it.

Guilty moment - this afternoon, before I went to pick up the kids, I turned on the TV and Cyberchase was on. I could have changed it, watched the Olympics, or news, or whatever, or even just turn it off. But I didn't. I watched Cyberchase, a show aimed at elementary school aged kids. And I enjoyed it. The writing is pretty clever for PBS kids shows, and the characters are engaging. Also, it's kind of nice to know the answers before the characters every now and then ;-).

Anyway, if you have young'uns, I would recommend this show. And if you're bored in the afternoons with nothing to do, I recommend it as well.

2 comments:

English Professor said...

My daughter loves math, but she usually unwinds with Clifford--low key, no stress. We'll check out Cyberchase, though. The only thing I can watch with her is Veggie Tales, the Rocky and Bullwinkle of today.

Bellejar said...

I regularly watch the Backyardigans. I love the music. It is on Nick Jr. I think.

I would build blocks when I got home from Babri at night - while I was studying for the bar. That was my way of unwinding. That was even before we had children *Grin*